How to Get Rid of Black Mold: Your 3 Natural & Safe Choices
One day, any of us can notice black fungus in the bathroom, or get to know about it due to that ‘mildew’ smell. The perspectives are not to be rosy, as untreated black mold can become a real health hazard. Thus, it can lead to such respiratory problems as asthma and allergy. Speaking of children and elderly people, their immune system may suffer a lot too. So, willing or not, killing this dangerous enemy needs competent knowledge on how to get rid of black mold. Of course, one can find many promising chemicals on the market, but do you want to pollute your house with more toxic fumes? Choose only safe and natural alternatives against hazardous and nasty mold, the experts advise.
4 Black Mold Essentials
- Black mold is the cause of small organisms’ growth, Strachybotrys chartarun or Strachybotys Astra in particular.
- Black mold can appear anywhere in your home: on ceiling tiles, walls, floors, water soaked wood and carpets. Mind that this is a ‘friend’ of all moist environments.
- If you touch black mold with a gloved hand, it will feel somewhat slimy. As for its look, it is black and spotty, but it can also be greenish-yellow. One should know that black mold has a distinct “mildew” smell. Nevertheless, the signs aren’t usually evident. But if you experience regular allergic reactions or suddenly have respiratory problems, here it is, Black Mold.
- If you’ve got a small infected area, then you can cope with the problem yourself, without any professional. To be frank, simply save money and look into your kitchen cupboard for some cheap household items. These can be a few mold-killing materials instead of expensive service substitutes: vinegar, tea tree oil and grapefruit seed extract. All you have to do is wear eye goggles, latex/rubber gloves, protective clothing and a filter dust mask. After that, remove black mold with the help of the following instructions.
How to Get Rid of Black Mold: Your Easy 5-Step Guide
- Once you have armed yourself with the above mentioned camouflage, you are ready for the affected area job. Start from the duct tape and a plastic sheet, in order to seal the vents or openings off. Also, you may place a fan in your open window to direct all mold spores outdoors.
- Then take a stiff brush, clean the area with mild soap plus water. When finished, put the materials in a Ziploc bag, sealing it tightly.
- Next, apply a disinfectant (choose any of those 3 below) to the black mold area, as well as spray the surrounding area.
- Finally, rinse the infected area with hot water and let it dry completely.
- Vacuum thoroughly.
Top 3 Mold-Killing Products
Vinegar Is #1 Solution over the Globe
Do you know that according to the studies, 5% vinegar kills 99% of bacteria, 80% of such germs as viruses and 82% of mold? More so, this solution is non-toxic and safe. Simply fill a spray bottle with 5% vinegar and keep it in your bathroom or kitchen for the quickest type of cleaning. You can add several drops of essential lavender oil to it to mask the strong smell of vinegar.
Tea Tree Oil Is More Than Effective
Tea tree oil is a little more expensive than vinegar. But you actually need a few teaspoons, which will go a long way. As for the strong smell, it will dissipate soon. This oil is both anti-fungal and antibacterial, thus it can kill all types of mold. So, buy a small bottle for mixing the solution in 1:1 ratio of water to oil. Combine it in a spray bottle, then shake, and start spraying on affected areas.
Grapefruit Extract Is One More Popular Natural Product
The key advantage of using the grapefruit seed extract is that there will be no odor. It is also expensive, but really worthy. This extract will either disinfect or deodorize the area. Mix 20 drops of grapefruit seed extract with 2 cups of water, combining the substance in a spray bottle. Then spray on affected areas.
So what, good-bye, spotty ceilings and mildew smell! Now you know how to get rid of black mold fast, cheap, natural and safe.